Tuesday, August 28, 2007

28 Aug 2007 - Don't Fence me out...


 
Posted by Picasa
Brian Haw has been protesting across the street from Parliament since June, 2001. When we arrived in London last February, I walked by Parliament and noticed the people protesting across the street in Parliament Square Park. I walked over and spoke with a couple of the people. Brian Haw was not there as he was at court case to defend one of the people that had been arrested.

The UK government has done everything they can to stop Brian Haw from protesting near Parliament and including passing a law that you can not protest within 1KM of the building. He is still there today, 6 years later.

Last week I noticed that the Mayor of London had erected a fence around Parliament Square Park and had squeezed Brian Haw and others into a smaller area and put the fence behind him. The police also arrested another person using the 1KM law, which will now go to court again.

Tomorrow, Nelson Mandela will be in the park to attend an unveiling of his statue and Brian Haw will be on the outside of the fence looking in. I plan to attend to see if I can get a photo of Nelson Mandela.

Click here to see the other photos I took at the Tate Museum.

No comments yet